Saturday, January 23, 2010

the Strand must love me

I did a lot of reading the first few days I was here. And I mean a lot. I forgot my computer cord (which I have never done before and believe me, will never do again) so that was out. Thank goodness for my blackberry, otherwise...I would have had to break my internet addiction?
Anyway, every day or so I went to the Strand Bookstore and bought a couple of books of their $1 racks outside the store. These were, of course, mainly extremely trashy chick lit. Not the good kind where you learn something, but pure novel-candy. Hence fun, but I wouldn't particularly recommend any of them...

 
As Sure as the Sun by Anna McPartlin
  • this one I actually bought before I left to have something to read on the flight (which thankfully I was able to sleep through instead. Woo!) so it isn't quite relegated to the $1 group...although it was on clearance at Borders for not much more.
  • It was certainly interesting, and worth a read...but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it.
Social Lives by Wendy Walker
  • the epitome of the crappy books I bought. Not that it was badly written or anything...just a somewhat typical shallow story line, although at least it was a bit more realistic in the marriages.
Royal Flush by Rhys Bowen
  • this was a fun one. It's about a poor royal (although only very distantly eligible for the crown) who has a tendency for running into danger/mysteries and then solving them. Cute, but predictable.
The Manny by Holly Peterson
  • OK, maybe this is the epitome...talk about stereotypes. Bored/underloved wealthy mom meets manny...you can take it from there. Fun read even if I did see it all coming.
The Triumph of Katie Byrne by Barbara Taylor Bradford
  • stood out a bit from the rest. It's the story of a girl whose two best friends are brutally attacked...great intro, right? They all wanted to be actresses, and this is about her attempt to solve the attack and recover from her trauma regarding it...while becoming an actress. Weird...and I don't really feel the need to own it...but pretty good storyline.
I also read a couple of my roommate's books...she was nice enough to not mind me borrowing them.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
  • I really liked this one. It's a mystery, which isn't usually my choice, but this one is great. The character development, the intelligence of the content and the writing...great. Definitely recommended reading.
  • I can't wait to read the other two.
True Blood: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
  • I am not a fan of this vampire trend. I hate the Twilight series. I don't judge people for reading them, but I think the writing is awful and certainly is not redeemed by the plot with its ridiculously pro-abstinence, pro-damsel-in-distress, anti-feminist tones.
  • However, this book was better. I still didn't love it-I think the damsel-in-distress syndrome is unavoidable in any novel where the male character is inherently stronger/immortal and the female love interest is "fragile human". For it to be realistic (in the world created there) that's they way it's gonna work. Still, the characters in this were interesting and the culture created was pretty interesting. I'd read more in the series, as long as it continues to develop and doesn't repeat the same storylines.
I also read one more book before I left Ann Arbor...

Push by Sapphire
  • Wow. So much very, very disturbing content. But such a good book. Read it.
  • I need to see Precious. Now that I've read the book it's based on, I think I can do so.
Currently, I'm reading textbooks. And article/book excerpts. Can you tell classes have begun?

No comments:

Post a Comment